Difference between revisions of "KJM5911 Lab Exercise 2 - Radionuclide Generators and Half Life"
m (moved KJM5911 Lab Exercise 2 - 234Pa to KJM5911 Lab Exercise 2 - Radionuclide Generators and Half Life)
Revision as of 11:46, 2 October 2012
- Understand mother-daughter relations and radioactive equilibrium
- Understand how a radio-nuclide generator works and how it is used
- Understand how radioactivity is "growing in"
- Training in handling radioactive material and safety procedures
- making the 234mPa radionuklide generator
- how to measure the half life of 234mPa
- determining the half life of 234mPa
- Chemical safety - nothing particulary dangerous, 2-M HCl and 0.1-M AgNO3 should of course be handled according to normal safety precations. DOWEX residues and waste should be collected and handled according to normal procedures.
- Rad. safety - very small amounts of uranyl nitrate is used, so rad. safety is mostly about regulations and not a real healt hazzard. Remember to collect the DOWEX from the ion-exchange collumns in separate containers as it is contaminated with 24-day 234Th (will be none-radioactive after one year).