Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS)
On this page you can find resources to aid the process of complying with national and international laws and regulations regarding import and utilization of genetic resources, including the Nagoya protocol (NP) to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and the Norwegian Nature Diversity Act. For a general overview of these issues and their implications for the NHM, please visit The Nagoya Protocol and ABS web site.
Please feel free to contact the team for advice on specific issues, for specific countries etc. - we may have some useful hints to offer!
NHM is a member of the Consortium of European Taxonomic Facilities (CETAF), which has developed a Code of Conduct and Best Practice on ABS. This resource was recognised under the EU ABS Regulation (EU) No 511/2014 on 10 May 2019.
It provides a detailed and most welcome guide for researchers and natural history collections in their compliance with ABS regulations and promotion of fair research partnerships worldwide in the implementation of the Nagoya Protocol.
- CETAF Code of Conduct and Best Practice on Access and Benefit Sharing (ABS)
- Press release about the EU recognition of the Coc and BP
- NHM standard procedure for Nagoya Protocol/ABS compliance
- Suggested text for requesting information from National Focal Points
- Depositing documentation in the NHM registry
- NHM ABS team:
- Neumann et al. 2018: Global biodiversity research tied up by juridical interpretations of access and benefit sharing. Org. Divers. Evol. 18 (1), 1-12
- Prathapan et al. 2018: When the cure kills - CBD limits biodiversity research. National laws fearing biopiracy squelch taxonomy studies. Science 360 (6396), 1405-1406.
- This amazing blue tarantula is a new spider species - but did researchers break the law when they studied it?. Science, 27 February 27 2019.
Resources by country
- Act on sharing benefits arising from the utilisation of genetic resources. [Source: https://absch.cbd.int/database/record/ABSCH-MSR-DK-238544]
- Alves et al. 2018: Brazilian legislation on genetic heritage harms Biodiversity Convention goals and threatens basic biology research and education. [Source: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0001-37652018000401279]
- Bockmann et al. 2018: Brazil's government attacks biodiversity. [Source: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6391/865.1]
- Da Silva 2018. The Brazilian legislation on Access and Benefit Sharing. [Source: https://portal.fiocruz.br/en/access-genetic-resources-and-associated-traditional-knowledge]
- Law 13.123 On access to genetic heritage - English. [Source: https://portal.fiocruz.br/en/access-genetic-resources-and-associated-traditional-knowledge]
- Da Silva & Oliveira 2018: The new Brazilian legislation on access to the biodiversity (Law 13,123/15 and Decree 8772/16). [Source: http://www.bjmicrobiol.com.br/en/the-new-brazilian-legislation-on/articulo/S1517838217310997/]
- al-Janabi et al. 2018: Vilm ABS Dialogue 2017 – Informing about Domestic Measures for Access to Genetic Resources. Final Report (BfN-Skripten 485).
- Genetic resources in Finland (as of 10.10.2017). [Source: https://www.biodiversity.fi/geneticresources/guidelines/genetic-resources-in-finland]
- Nagoya Protocol (Utilisation of Genetic Resources) [Source: https://www.bfn.de/en/activities/nagoya-protocol-utilisation-of-genetic-resources.html]
- National Biodiversity Authority [Source. http://nbaindia.org/]
- Centre for Biodiversity Policy and Law (CEBPOL) [Source: http://nbaindia.org/content/332/31/1/cebpol.html]
- Frequently asked questions regarding the application and authorization to access to Spanish genetic resources from wild taxa (as of 13.03.2018) [Source: http://www.mapama.gob.es/en/biodiversidad/temas/recursos-geneticos/protocolo-de-nagoya/FAQ_Autorizaciones.aspx]
- Biodiversity collection permits in South Africa [Source: https://www.sanbi.org/resources/infobases/biodiversity-collection-permits-in-south-africa/]
- Utilizing Swedish genetic resources (as of 13.03.2018). [Source: http://www.swedishepa.se/Guidance/Guidance/Species-Protection/Genetic-resourses/Utilizing-Swedish-genetic-resources/]
- Naturmangfoldloven (in Norwegian)
- Norwegian Nature Diversity Act (in English)
- Access and Benefit-sharing Clearing-House Information about ABS regulations, National Focal Points for most countries, useful resources etc.
- CETAF Code of Conduct & Best Practice A most useful document!
- The Swiss Academy of Sciences - ABS Publications Several useful documents on ABS best practice, sample agreements, case studies etc.
- Online learning tool on ABS Developed by BGCI and Kew. Targets botanic gardens/herbaria, but its first few modules are applicable across all collections
- The Nagoya Protocol
- al-Janabi et al. 2018: Vilm ABS Dialogue 2017 – Informing about Domestic Measures for Access to Genetic Resources. Final Report (BfN-Skripten 485)
This page is maintained by Lars Erik Johannessen.