Univ. Helsinki - Radiation Protection Course with Laboratory Exercises
This course, developed and thaught at University of Helsinki, teach basic radiation protection skills needed to work in a radiochemical laboratory.
Credit units: 2
Lectures (12 hours):
- Types of radiation
- Radiation dose quantities and their units
- Biological effects of radiation
- Radiation safety regulations and recommendations
- Licensing of radionuclide laboratories
- Estimation of radiation doses
- Radiation protection practice
- Radiation dose measurements
- Storage and management of radioactive waste
- Safe working practise in radionuclide laboratory - preparation of counting samples
- Dose measurement and dosimeters
At the end of the course there is an exam.
Passing the course does not give a license to act as a radiation safety officer in radionuclide laboratories. For that, additional more demanding exam needs to be passed.